As a teacher my goal was not just to increase awareness with my children about environmental issues but to encourage them to take action. Earth Day reminds us that planned and thoughtful action is necessary if we are going to ensure a more ‘healthy’ planet is left for future generations.
Earth Day is an annual day on which events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection. Earth Day is observed on April 22 each year. The April 22 date was designated as International Mother Earth Day by a consensus resolution adopted by the United Nations in 2009.Earth Day is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network,and is celebrated in more than 192 countries every year.
Whether you believe in Global Climate Change or not, evidence is there to suggest that we have to take action on issues that
Global competence is one way of expressing the need for a range of specific skills and values applied to global environmental issues. Hear are some resources for teachers:
Edutopia Resources on Global Competence:
- Video series: Education Everywhere: International School Success Stories and Global Collaboration (2012)
- Blogs: Blogs related to global education
- Article: How Global Language Learning Gives Students the Edgen(2010)
- Go Global Online: Resources on Educating the Children of the World (2008)
- Video: Learning to Care: A Night in the Global Village (2007)
- Video: High School Education Takes On a Global Dimension (2007)
- Article Educators on Global Learning: Karen Kodama (2007)
- Article Educators on Global Learning: Brenda Lilienthal Welburn (2007)
- Article Educators on Global Learning: Barbara Chow (2007)
- Article Educators on Global Learning: Virginia B. Edwards (2007)
- Article Educators on Global Learning: Lucia Rodriguez (2007)